Friday, October 19, 2012

Demonstration against Cuts to Education

So, I don't know if you've heard, but Spain is in a bit of a financial problem right now. It's known here as "La Crisis" (kree-sees), which I don't think needs any translation. The small problem is that the country has no money and as such has to make cut backs somewhere. Of course, these cuts aren't going to come from outrageous political salaries, but from public services. Right now, they've targeted education which directly affects me and all the other permanent teachers at my school.

And, unlike Americans, when Europeans feel upset or threatened they do something about it. Or at least, they do something to show that they are upset and taking notice. I wish Americans were a little more vocal. At any rate, the parents organized a strike yesterday to voice their frustration. A lot of them chose not to send their kids to school. I'd say almost half the students at my school did not attend. Some schools closed completely. We still had class, but it was difficult to do any serious activities or work because so many students weren't there. I'm not sure what skipping school showed the government, but it was Spain's way of saying we don't agree with what the government is doing with public money.

Every Wednesday students and teachers alike wear green shirts that say "Educación Pública: de todas para todos", or "from all for all". As a product of the public education system of Missouri, I can relate to the importance of public funding for schools. Everyone should have the right to a decent education. And since now I am also part of the Madrid public school systems, I should probably stay informed about the cuts, or recortes.

I bring this up because while my friend Alyson and I were planning a trip to Brussels, Belgium last night at a café close to Sol, we heard all kinds of chanting and noise from the street. As it turns out, the strike also went with a demonstration (manifestación) in the city center. As the US embassy told us, don't get involved in demonstrations; park yourself in a café and watch from a distance. This is exactly what we unintentionally did. I took some video, but it doesn't really show just how many people were marching. I captured about 2 minutes worth of the half hour of parading through the street. It had to be one of the biggest demonstrations/protests that I've seen here in Madrid so far. And it was peaceful. No need for police with batons or tear gas. Something to be proud of.

Here's my short video from the doorway of the café. Notice their green shirts and signs that say NO with a scissors in the center. It's amazing how people can organize here.



*Video will go here*

On a more light-hearted note, I was in class yesterday and I took a few students out to work with them individually. The teachers have a Euro system where they give them fake Euros when they participate well in class and take away Euros when they speak in Spanish. The students I took aside were upset that I had no Euros to give them when they answered questions, but I took Euros from them when I heard Spanish. I told them I was only taking, not giving. One student perked up and said, "Just like in politics!" Couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment