Sunday, October 21, 2012

Random Mumblings

The temperature has officially dropped here in Madrid and I'm not sure how long my jacket is going to be sufficient outerwear. I'm really really kicking myself for not trying to stuff my winter coat into my big duffle bag. It would've fit if I tried. For some reason I thought I could make it til Christmas with just layers underneath my medium-weighted jacket but that is not going to happen. Add to the fact that I will be in Belgium in less than 2 weeks and the quest for a winter coat becomes even more urgent! Lucky me.

Today a few of us met up in the wee morning hours (11am - and yeah, that's early in Spain on a Sunday) in the La Latina neighborhood to wind our way through El Rastro, a huge flea market held every Sunday in Madrid. It's the best place to buy scarves, leather goods and football gear....and just about anything else, but now you know my priorities. I've been before but this was the first time in 2012. It hasn't changed a bit: clogged streets of people running into one another without a care and vendors obnoxiously yelling their prices into the crowd. The crowd was a little much but the atmosphere was excellent. Alyson turned to me at one point and said, "Ya know, this is one of those moments where I feel really good about being here." I agree. Being surrounded by a montón of people and speaking Spanish with vendors makes me feel grounded in some way, more connected to where I'm living. It was also a good excuse to get out of the apartment, do some shopping and not drop a ton of money. Although, you have to be careful at El Rastro. If you bring 10euros, you spend 10euros. If you bring 50euros, your wallet will be 50euros lighter. Simple as that. No matter how much you tell yourself that you're only looking for a scarf, you invariably leave with more. I came away with 2 scarves and some thermal leggings, and those thermal leggings are going to be my new best friends.

Today also gave me a chance to unite all the people I know so far, and hopefully they become friends with each other too. It's made me realize I have a few networks to draw from, and that makes me feel even more connected. We weren't a huge group so that gave everyone a chance to chat and get to know one another. Each day they become more and more like a family. My family. I just needed to share that.

No comments:

Post a Comment